An unfolding storyline in the pages of the Defenders revealed that more than 100 years ago Prince Namor's mother had banded together with an unusual array of pulp-era adventurers, including the likes of Captain Nemo. A key piece of evidence emerged in Defenders #5, when the modern heroes discovered the remains of the Nautilus submarine from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.
This would mean that Captain Nemo was not only a character from 19th century literature but also a historical figure within the world of Marvel characters—and a topic of discussion among the latest version of the non-team (Defenders #5).
- Red She-Hulk: Do you think the dead guy there is really Captain Nemo? From the books and such?
As his teammate spoke, Namor looked closely at a photograph of the fabled captain.
- Namor: What books?
- Red She-Hulk: Jules Verne?
- Namor: Is he an Atlantean author?
- Red She-Hulk: No, he--
- Namor: Haven't read it.
The half-Atlantean observed familial resemblance between himself and the legendary captain, so Red She-Hulk broached the subject.
- Red She-Hulk: Could he be your father?
- Namor: … It doesn't matter. I know who I am.