Dedicated to the definitive superhero non-team.


Wednesday, May 21, 2008

To Be Continued Next Month!

After a misunderstanding with the Hulk, Hawkeye joined the Defenders (#7), largely because his solo career after quitting the Avengers wasn't working out. But the avenging archer left the non-team after only four issues and easily dropped out of the picture.

More important about Defenders #7 was an announcement printed on the last page. The note alerted readers that the Defenders was becoming a monthly series (instead of coming out every other month). This was big news in 1973, and evidence of the growing popularity of the title.

As promised, Defenders #8 appeared one month later, with a September cover date.

2 comments:

Rick L. Phillips said...

I remember when that was news too. Usually they started them bi-monthly. I remember when Nova #1 came out and I saw it was monthly I thought that showed they had faith in the book. Later I found out that some books were bi-monthly as that was the only way they could afford to fit them in their publishing rotation.

Adam Barnett said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, James! I loves me some Defenders, and I couldn't really tell you why. I wasn't a big fan of the Hulk, Dr. Strange, Namor or the Surfer, but this was one of the great books of the '70s.