Dedicated to the definitive superhero non-team.


Saturday, July 9, 2022

Innocent Advertising

Rereading Seduction of the Innocent is becoming something of an annual tradition for me, as I've summarized portions of the 1954 book by Fredric Wertham twice before: first in 2020 and then in 2021. This time around I'm narrowing the topic to Wertham's concerns over advertising—specifically the prominence of bodybuilding ads in comics.

Noting how some boys might look aspirationally at the shirtless he-men pictured in the these ads, Wertham worried that the photos might instill feelings of insecurity in boys unable to achieve the desired results. Wertham raised a further objection, asserting that boys with homosexual tendencies might collect these photos and use them for sexual stimulation.

While many of Wertham's concerns would haunt the comic book industry for decades to come, bodybuilding ads remained a mainstay in comic books when I began reading them in the 1970s. Although I grew up to be gay, I can't say that I paid much attention to these ads during my formative years.

For more context about the far-reaching scope of Seduction of the Innocent, a list of the book's chapter titles appears below.

  1. "Such Trivia As Comic Books"
  2. "You Always Have to Slug 'Em"
  3. The Road to the Child
  4. The Wrong Twist
  5. Retooling for Illiteracy
  6. Design for Delinquency
  7. I Want to Be a Sex Maniac!"
  8. "Bumps and Bulges"
  9. The Experts for the Defense
  10. The Upas Tree
  11. Murder in Dawson Creek
  12. The Devil's Allies
  13. Homicide at Home
  14. The Triumph of Dr. Payn
  
This particular full-page ad appeared in Defenders #27 & 28. Smaller versions of the ad appeared in other issues of the series.

No comments: